Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Sunday, December 11, 2005

My assignment

I will be leaving the United States on 1-22-2006 for ZAMBIA. Zambia is south of Tanzania and north of Zimbabwe. It is one of the safest countries in Africa but it is undeveloped. I will be working with a program called Community Action for Health Project (CAHP) and my job will be Community Health Development Extensionist. My project aims to support the health reform program. I will work with the Ministry of Health, rural health centers, district, provincial and national levels to help maintain and develop sustainable community based health committees. My direct project hopes to improve the overall health and well being of the rural population. I will also educate them on 6 basic principles which are: HIV/AIDS, STDS, Water and Sanitation, Child Health and Nutrition, Reproductive Health and Family Planning and Malaria. I will be living in a typical Zambian house which consists of a small clay brick house with a thatched roof, a pit latrine and a bath shelter outside. I will not have electricity of running water for the length of my stay there. I will receive a bike which will be my main form of transportation. It sounds quite intense but I am really excited for the next chapter in my life.
For the first 3 months, I will be living in Kitwe which is north of Lusaka for my training. I will learn one of four African languages and live with a host family. After the 3 months is up and I pass my tests then I will move to one of 6 provinces in Zambia and my work will start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home