Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Facts about Zambia

I thought I would share some informative and fun facts about Zambia with all of you:
*Zambia is slightly larger than Texas
*The countries that Zambia borders are Angola, Congo, Zambabwe, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique and Namibia.
*Victoria Falls (which is a national wonder of the world) is located in Southern Zambia.
*The terrain is mostly high plateau with some hills and mountains
*Half the population is under the age of 15 years old.
*The life expectancy at birth is 37 years old.
*It is published that 16.5 % of the population has AIDS (but it is actually closer to 30%)
*Christianity is the main religion followed by Muslim and Hindu.
*The languages that people speak are Bemba, Kaonda, Lozi, Lunda, Luvale, Nyanja, Tonga, and about 70 other indigenous languages and I will have to learn one of them!
*Zambis is split into 9 different provinces and the Peace Corps works in 6 of them.
*86% of the population lives below the poverty line.
*The unemployment rate is 50%.
*The averge family lives off 75 dollars. I will be given $200...I will be rich.
*There are 91,440 km of highways and 71,323 km are unpaved.
*There are 10 airports with paved runways and 99 are unpaved.
*One of the best countries for safaris!!
Well guys...this is the country that I will be living in for 27 months...CRAZY!!

1 Comments:

  • At 25/1/06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My study partner (for Chemistry and Genetics) Einoti, is from Tanzania!! She always talks about how she misses home . . so I think of you each time! I'm praying for you!! God will give you the strength, energy, and abilities you need--so never doubt yourself, God's right there with you!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home