Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Disco Night and Cultural Day

Hello guys,
I hope you are all doing well. I decided that my last post wasn't all that informative about my life and so here we go...
I wake up every morning around 645 by my mom. She does not understand that I have an alarm clock and if afraid of me sleeping in. I take a bath most mornings which consists of me walking like 30 feet to a little bushed in area. It is private except for all the lizards that bath with me. I dump water over my head and go from there. Then I eat breakfast which is a half of a hard boiled egg and some bread of some sort. Then I ride my bike throught corn fields to my language class. Class is from 8 to 12. Then I come home and have lunch which is some sort of leaves with rice or corn meal with something else. Then I ride my bike to tech class which is from 2-5. Tech class is where I learn about what my job is going to be when I get posted. Then I come home have dinner, play games with my family and go to bed.
Life is good except that I have chicken fleas which sucks big time. We had cultural day yesterday where all of our moms cooked food...anything from rice to chicken feet to termites and catapillars. I tired it all but did not like most of it. Then we all went to disco night which was sooooo fun!!!
Most of us get together on Sundays to come into town. I just ate a pizza which was soooo yummy. Most to all of the stores are closed on Sundays which is a bummer but at least internet is open.
Communication here is very hard. It is hard to get stamps..paper..enveloped and stuff. I am excited to get to my site so I can have more free time to communicate.
Oh I forgot to say this earlier but I killed a chicken a few weeks ago during my site visit. It was pretty gross and blood went all over my legs and shoes. They gave me a very dull knife to cut its head off then I had to stand on its wings while it died. Something that I won't do again but it is part of life here in Zambia.
What else...I will find out my site in 10 days....so exciting!!! Everybody is my group is great and it will be hard to say good bye to them when we all depart.
Please keep me posted on everything...I love you guys and miss ya

4 Comments:

  • At 27/2/06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great email and lots of info. Everyone is a real treat. GREAT work and YOU are one special lady.

     
  • At 27/2/06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Ms. Katie
    your mom and sister are keeping me posted-wow-
    don't think i could eat a termite!!!!!-
    I think of you so often and am so very proud to know you...

    best
    Marty

     
  • At 27/2/06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Inspirational Katie. I never knew about chicken fleas... I always hated fleas and sand flies so I can imagine your pain. The food part must be hard but that pizza made your week I bet. What is the country like? the geographic characteristics in your village or area? When does the sun come up and set? The alarm clock must be a hard concept for you "mom" to comprehend. I bet at some point your body will just wake up naturally to sunrise. Keep smiling. nora

     
  • At 3/3/06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Katie! I'm so glad that you are doing good in Zambia. It's wonderful to hear of your adventures there. I love this little bit we get to hear from you. I'm praying for you and thinking of you often. Way to go girl!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home