Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

So I am going to....CENTRAL!~~

Hello guys...So this last week was pretty unbelieveable. I found out where I am going last Thursday and on Saturday 4 of us headed there. I will be in Chikupili in Cental Providence. I am 80 km from Mkushi which is the biggest city close to me. I am definitely living in the bush which is going to be great. I met my new family which consists of 10 new bro and sisters and they have over 30 kids. There are kids everywhere of all ages...LOVE IT!!! My house is pretty big...about the size of my kitchen at home. One of the best parts is that I get a dog. My dogs name is Ena and he is great. God I am soooo happy. Also, there is a large mountain in my backyard which I can hike whenever I want. The area is beautiful...lots of trees and everything is green. It really is one of the most beautiful places I have been to. There is another volunteer names Rich who is 3 km from me and Matt who is 30 km. I am going to have to cycle alot in my area which is also a plus. Basically I got the site I wanted and could not be much happier. On Wed. we had a huge party at Rich's site where we killed a goat drank lots of tea wine and other village brew. Everybody is very welcoming and I cant wait to get back there. The clinic where I will spend most of my time is 8 km from my house which is around a 45 minute bike ride. One Sunday we went to a Catholic church which I will start to go to once I am posted. Everything is in Bemba so I cannot understand any of it but the singing is beautiful.
5 of us took transport back from Mkushi to Kitwe on Saturday. It took us 5 hours and the majority of it we were in the back of a pick up truck and of course it rained so we all got pretty wet. It was a fun adventure and will have to get used to it. It was really nice coming back to my host family. When I got home they came up yelling Ba Katie and all gave me a huge hug. This morning I found a HUGE spider in my house....no joke it was like the size of a deck of cards. I yelled and my mom came to kill it:). What else...the rats in my hut are gone, we killed them with some poison.
Oh, letters take like 10 days to reach me and packages take around 3 weeks. They may take longer once I move since Mkushi isn't that big of a town. Also, interent is not really available in central providence which sucks but I am in Africa and can't really complain.
So I am back in Kitwe for the last 2 weeks of training. I know these last 2 weeks are going to be hard since I know where I am going but I will just have to deal with it the best I can. The rain is starting to slow down...it isnt raining everyday anymore. Life is great and am so happy. I hope all of you are doing well and keep me posted.

Here are some things I need: Snacks, chocolate, lolly pops, games for kids and cookies.

Love you all!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home