Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Not so fun!!!

Well guys so I have been in Lusaka for a few days and I decided to go to the Zambia vs. Angola final football game. Whatever team won advanced to the World Cup in 2010. Zambia won 2 to 0. I went with a bunch of other Peace Corps kids that were down here for the game. The game was a great time, nothing bad happened until after the game. So, as Heidi and I were leaving, a man grabbed at her phone. Before we knew it we were surrounded by many Zambians and they were beating up the guy that tried to steal the phone. In the mess of all the Zambians somebody cut the strap of my bag and before I knew it, it as gone. They did it so quickly that I did not have a chance to respond. I went a little crazy, I was just so upset. My bag had my cell phone, probably a little over $100, little stuff but most importantly a rosary that my grandma gave me before she passed away. Then as I was walking around looking for my bag, some Zambians tried to rob the three guys that I was with. At this point we were all so shaken up that we just had to leave. We got in a minibus but as we were leaving people were reaching their hands in the windows trying to take more stuff. We closed the windows but then they started to shake the bus. We stopped at a gas station where I was able to call Peace Corps Security Officer who meant with me at my hotel. He was very nice and most things will be replaced. The worst part is that I have lost alot of trust in a country that I really enjoy. They can have the money, the bag and the cell phone but I will never get my Grandma's rosary back. The good thing is that none of us got physically hurt just shaken up quite a bit. Not a fun time in Zambia!

1 Comments:

  • At 10/11/06, Blogger Daneen said…

    Kage! It's so great to hear from you! And get an update on what you've all been up to and how live is over that side! Sorry about the snakes! Yucko!!!! And the rats/mice are no fun either! But at least you don't also have a bat flying around your hut! :-) It could always be worse! Hang in there girl! Give hugs to everyone for me! I'll try to send a text msg again. I did once and I don't think it went through. NOt sure why. But I know how awesome those messages are! Sending love from HOME... Daneen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home