Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Friday, February 16, 2007

I'm going home!!!

On Tuesday I finally get to go home and by home I mean Zambia. I am so excited!! I can't believe how much I really miss Zambia and especially my family and all the children.

As of Jan 26th I have been in Zambia for over one year. It is hard to belief it has already been one year and just 14 more months to go. Looking back on this year is pretty amazing. I feel really lucky to have gotten this opportunity and have enjoyed it so much. Some days are great while others are not but it is a wonderful feeling to wake up every morning and be in Africa. I wanted to share some of my favorite moments and least favorite moments with all of you from this past year.

Here are some of my favorite moments:
*Meeting my host family for the first time and seeing my 2 brothers playing outside with sticks while secretly looking at me.
*Passing my language test...I thought I was going to fail :)
*Moving to site for the first time and thinking "What did I get myself into"
*My Zambian family---they are so wonderful.
*Going to Victoria Falls in Aug with some friends. The falls are amazing.
*Being chased by a large monkey in the Victoria Fall park grounds--he wanted my Cliff bar.
*Hanging out with my little sisters and brothers. Teaching them fun American games.
*Getting my hair braided by Pretty (5 yrs old) whenever I get done taking a bath.
*Learning to cook authentic Zambian food from my Mom.
*The mountain in the back of my house. It has an amazing view and that is where I get cell phone service.
*My two dogs--Ena and Zoey
*Just hanging out with my friends.
*Getting mail and packages...always wonderful.
*Visiting other Peace Corps Volunteers' sites.
*Having my first training after being at site for 6 months.
*Going to Zanzibar and sleeping on the beach.
*Swimming with dolphins.
*All the fun questions that I am asked while on transport.
*Provincial Meetings
*Just random times in the village...seeing the way Zambians live.
*Learning to garden and raising chickens.
I know there are more but I cannot think of them.

My not so favorite moments:
*When my house from training was attacked by killer ants.
*Having work difficulties when I first got to site.
*Getting sick in Zanzibar...being Med Evaced to South Africa.
*Spending my 24th B-day hooked up to IVs in the hospital.
*Finding out my dog, Zoey died.


I think I have had a wonderful first year and I am excited to experience the next 14 months. Thank you everybody who has sent letters and packages...they really are a blessing. It is hard being so far from home but mail keeps volunteers going.

1 Comments:

  • At 4/3/07, Blogger CAbeachlover said…

    Hi Katie!

    It's Liz, your Telelogic buddy. I have something to tell you - YOU ARE AN AMAZING AND STRONG PERSON!
    It sounds like you are having a wonderful experience, outside of being sick for a couple of months. I'm glad you are feeling better.

    Take care of yourself and know we are thinking about you.

    Love,
    Liz

     

Post a Comment

<< Home